Requirements for Lectors
- Membership in parish one year (at pastor’s discretion but encouraged from point of view of fidelity to the community one wishes to serve.)
- Men or women who are, acknowledged by peers and pastor to be an active Catholic in good standing with the Roman Catholic Church.
- Sacramental reception: Must have received the sacraments of Baptism, Holy Communion and Confirmation in the Roman Catholic Church.
- Names to be submitted to the bishop (the pastor’s signature required on the letter of request); the list will be acknowledged by the Office of Worship and returned to the parish.
- All the faithful, especially those who will serve as lectors should be properly trained on the following:
- Understanding of Liturgy and use of the liturgical principles from Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy and The General Instruction of the Roman Missal
- Theology of the Word
- Theology of Ministry
- Practical training of Proclamation and opportunity for practice and critique
- Safe Environmeng training yearly.
- Six hours of on going formation per year.
- “Hands-on” training including the importance of fulfilling commitment as scheduled, procedures for approaching the ambo and the dress code put forth by the parish.
Through divine revelation, God chose to show forth and communicate Himself and the eternal decisions of His will regarding the salvation of men. That is to say, He chose to share with them those divine treasures which totally transcend the understanding of the human mind.
-Dei Verbum #6