Auxiliary Bishop Eduardo A. Nevares
The Most Reverend Eduardo Alanis Nevares was ordained as the first Auxiliary Bishop for the Diocese of Phoenix on July 19, 2010, at St. Thomas Aquinas Parish in Avondale. He began his priesthood as a Missionary of Our Lady of La Salette on July 18, 1981, and was later incardinated into the Diocese of Tyler, Texas, in May 2007.
Prior to his arrival in Phoenix he served as Vice Rector of the Pontifical College Josephinum in Columbus, Ohio, after serving as the Co-Director of Vocations in the Diocese of Tyler, Texas, from 2002 until 2008. Before serving in Tyler, he was the Pastor of St. Patrick Parish in Lufkin, Texas. For 25 years, Bishop Nevares served as a Missionary of Our Lady of La Salette before he sought incardination to the Diocese of Tyler.
He grew up in a loving, devout Roman Catholic family. His parents were not rich, yet they sent all of their children to Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish School.
As his mother would leave the four older children at school, they would both attend daily Mass together. It was seeing his mother’s love and devotion for the Eucharist that began to instill in Bishop Nevares a desire to be a priest.
- Born: February 19, 1954
- Ordination to the priesthood: July 18, 1981
- Ordained a bishop: July 19, 2010
- 1981-1988: Parochial Vicar of St. Patrick Parish, Lufkin, Texas
- 1988-1991: Vocations Director of Missionaries of Our Lady of La Salette (St. Louis Province)
- 1991: Parochial Vicar of Our Lady of Sorrow Church, Jacksonville, Texas
- 1991-1993: Catholic Chaplain of Stephen F. Austin State University, Nacogdoches, Texas
- 1993-2002: Pastor of St. Patrick Parish, Lufkin, Texas
- 2002-2008: Co-Director of Vocations of Diocese of Tyler, Texas
- 2008-2010: Vice Rector of the Pontifical College Josephinum, Columbus, Ohio
- 2010-Present: Auxiliary Bishop of Diocese of Phoenix
- 2010–2014: USCCB Committee on Immigration
- 2011–2014: USCCB Catholic Legal Immigration Network, Inc. Committee
- 2011-Present: Board of Directors, Catholic Education Arizona (formerly Catholic Tuition Organization of the Diocese of Phoenix)
- 2012-2014: President of the Arizona Ecumenical Council.
- 2014-Present: USCCB Committee on the Protection and Defense of Minors and the Vulnerable
- 2014-Present: Core Member of the John 17 Ecumenical Group
- 2014-Present: Member of Pax Christi
- 2014-Present: USCCB Committee of Hispanic Bishops