Statement on Sexual Abuse Survivors Press Conference
June 26, 2019
We are aware of the press conference scheduled for today that will provide survivors of sexual abuse the opportunity to shine a spotlight on the evil actions that have caused them and their loved ones deep suffering. We share in their anguish and anger. We pray that today serves as another step along their journey to healing.
Sexual abuse is a tragedy against the dignity of the person. We will continue our commitment to protect the vulnerable among us, bring healing to the wounded, and keep our Church safe and centered on Jesus Christ.
We encourage anyone who has been a victim of abuse to call a local law enforcement agency.
For additional information about support services for those who have been abused, please contact the Office of Child and Youth Protection at (602) 354-2396.
Here is how the Diocese of Phoenix is working to keep our community safe:
- Since 2012, a list of clergy against whom a credible allegation has been made is available on the Diocese of Phoenix website.
- A comprehensive safe environment policy has been developed and put into place, which applies to every parish, school, and ministry in the Diocese of Phoenix;
- Annually about 30,000 adults — including clergy, religious, employees and volunteers — are trained on safe environment and mandatory reporting requirements;
- Annually about 30,000 school and religious education students receive safe environment training, including how to recognize and report inappropriate behaviors;
- A review board consisting of lay professionals was established to review and make determinations regarding any allegations against clergy. The makeup of this board includes a law enforcement officer, a licensed psychologist, a judge, a medical professional, a teacher and a parish pastor;
- A zero-tolerance policy prohibits the return to ministry of any clergy against whom a credible allegation is made.
For more information: https://dphx.org/youth-protection
Director of Communications